Saturday, July 18, 2009

Remakes: Sometimes You Lose

John Carpenter created a classic. What's more, he also started a whole new wave of horror films, the slasher.

Why mess with perfection?

Yes, the Rob Zombie version is bloodier. After three decades, the art of film making, CGI, and make up have evolutionized. It's a sharper film (no pun intended), but it's still the same film.

Okay. I just heard a huge round of "Duh!" resound around me. Yes, I know remakes are supposed to be exact copies of the original. Maybe one of these days someone will explain to me, then, why GVS's shot-for-shot remake of Psycho failed so miserably. I'm sorry, but Zombie's version didn't do anything for me, either.

I'll stick with the original, thank you, even though you can tell its age is showing.

(Note: Another remake that didn't quite live up to the original: Planet of the Apes)

No comments:

Post a Comment