Thursday, July 2, 2009

3D Horror - “They’re coming to get you, Barbara!”

I read a lot of horror stories. Although many managed to send shivers up my spine, I still know that I’m safely ensconced within my sofa/bed/chair/bathtub. And no mean beastie/perverted slasher is going to get me. Ditto for horror movies. No matter what happens on the screen, in the back of your mind you keep reminding yourself it’s all fake. The hero and heroine will most likely appear in the sequel, and the victims will find another acting role someplace else.

I think 3D is about to change that.

3D movies aren’t new. They’ve been around since the ‘50s. Yet for all their innovations and failures, I truly believe that 3D will most benefit horror movies.

Why?

Because they’re going to break that "4th wall". They’re going to jump into your lap, plunge a knife into your intestines, and chop off your head. And you’re going to duck and scream because your brain is going to tell you that the thing coming after you is real. Fear and the survival instinct will take over, and you won’t be able to stop it.

(Alert! Small spoiler!)
When the US version of The Ring first came to theaters, the scene with the wet girl and the television gave me nightmares. It broke that 4th wall, and to this day people who’ve seen the movie will never forget it.

That’s what 3D technology will do to horror movies. Three dimensional water creatures or flowers will delight you. Bubbles and snow will enthrall you. Serial killers exploding out of the screen just might give you a heart attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment