Monday, July 20, 2009

Remakes: And Sometimes You Straddle the Fence

[REC] was filmed in Barcelona, Spain.
QUARANTINE was filmed in Los Angeles as the remake.

Both films work.

They're both bloody, horrific, and I jumped out of my skin several times during both, although I already knew what would happen in [REC] after seeing its remake last year.


Pretty strange, huh? Seeing the remake before the original.

I can understand why this remake was made. Like the Japanese horror and Korean horror movies that have become very popular, it reflects the country where it was filmed -- the location, the customs/traditions, and more importantly, the language. But some people don't like "foreign films", no matter how good they are. And they especially don't want to see a film in another language with subtitles.

Fortunately, both movies can stand on their own. The DVD of [REC] offers the movie with subtitles or with dubbed voices. I watched [REC] both ways, and the dubbing is just as good, in my honest opinion.

Which version would I suggest you get?
Both of them.
Then have a few friends over. Watch both films, and have a great time discussing the pros and cons.

No comments:

Post a Comment