Monday, August 1, 2011

Monday Movie Review - SEASON OF THE WITCH

I initially rented this movie not because I'm a Nic Cage fan, but because I'm also a Ron Perlman fan from way back in the days of "Beauty and the Beast". So it wasn't surprising how much I enjoyed this historical piece. It's basically a "buddy" movie, with both Nic and Ron getting equal opportunity to chew the scenery. But there's also a neat story.

In the time of the Crusades, two knights are selected to transport a supposed witch to a special monastery. The monks believe witchcraft is the cause behind the Black Plague, and they hope to coerce the witch into cancelling the spell or whatever it is that has brought about the infection.

The blood is sparse, but the gruesomeness of the disease is very prevalent (along with some fantastic makeup FX.) Cage and Perlman make very convincing knights who may be past their prime age-wise, but who still maintain a commanding presence, as well as superb expertise with the sword. 

The ending was my only gripe. It was a bit "meh" for me, but otherwise I can't quibble.

Which means my recommendation is that you:

No comments:

Post a Comment