Saturday, January 8, 2011

Dear Gail - How can you watch all those horror movies?

Dear Gail,

How can you stand to watch all those horror movies you write about?  And how can you write those kinds of stories, and romantic ones, too, under your other name?

Actually, watching horror movies is easy for me because I can disassociate myself from them.  I KNOW movies are fake.  I KNOW the actors will stand up when the directions yells, "Cut!".  And if you ever watch any of the "making of" vignettes tacked onto the DVDs, you'll often see "victims" walking around in full bloody makeup, giggling and drinking soda while they wait for filming to resume.  I read horror mags which describe in detail how certain horror effects are done, allowing me the chance to see the difference between real life special effects and CGI (computer graphic imagery).

Why I love horror so much is a mystery to me.  Yes, I write romances, too.  I also teach Kindergarten.  Kinda makes me scary, eh?

But, oddly enough, what I cannot watch is anything where real blood is being spilled.  Why?  Because I consciously know that's real blood, not fake.  So be it a newscast, boxing match, or documentary, if real blood is present, count me out.

Yeah, I'm odd that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment