Monday, May 6, 2019

Monday Movie Review - SUSPIRIA (2018)



I have never seen the first SUSPIRIA, nor the other two original films of this trilogy by Dario Argento. It was word of mouth that got me interested enough in renting this flick, plus the fact that there were some well-known actresses in it.

Do you remember me saying my recommendation is largely based on whether or not the movie "sticks" with me after viewing it? I must admit this film left a lasting impression on me, and that's saying a lot. Not because of the incredible photography, not because of the acting, but because of the gradual build-up to the final act. An act that both grossed me out and kept me glued to the screen.

A brief synopsis is this: an American girl gets accepted into a premiere German dance school. It is the 70s, and themes of destruction and death during political upheavals at that time are played throughout the film.

While the girl is learning the ropes, she begins to feel as if there is much more to the the dance academy than being just a school for dance. That there could be an evil and dark malevolence behind the teachers. What she inevitably learns is more horrifying, until she learns how it can be handled.

I had to go back and re-watch the first part of the movie, in order to grasp what I saw later in the film. Although I still have some confusion regarding the Mother, a quick internet check helped to clear that up.

The brutality is vivid. There are no holds barred. This isn't you average hack-and-slash movie. This is well-crafted gore to the point of being an art form. And although I personally have no desire (at the moment) to see the movie again, my recommendation is that you





No comments:

Post a Comment