Monday, April 3, 2017

Monday Movie Review - XX


I like anthologies, especially if I recognize the name of a director/writer/actor whose work I'm familiar with.

XX is four tales that's female gender oriented. Each tale is directed by a female, and the lead role is female.

Unfortunately, although I believe the intention was good, the outcome is not. These four tales basically go nowhere. A couple of them I feel would have done better if they'd been a full-length feature instead of a twenty some-odd minute shortie.

"The Box" is somewhat satisfying, but the ending bombs, IMHO. "The Birthday Party" made no sense. I kept wondering aloud why the woman didn't call the cops. "Don't Fall" would have made a decent full-length feature. But as it stands, there are too many questions left that need answering. The fourth tale, "Her Only Living Son", is the best of the four, but again the ending left a lot to be desired. In fact, I kept backing up to re-watch it several times, hoping to make sense of it.

A decent attempt. I hope there will be more in the future. But for this anthology, my final verdict is that you


No comments:

Post a Comment