Monday, March 21, 2011

Monday Movie Review - BATTLE: LA

Not to be confused with the SyFy version called "Battle: Los Angeles", this is the one showing now in theaters.  And like I mentioned in an earlier post, I did brave seeing it on the big, big screen.  (Note: I went a week after it had opened, so the crowd was smaller.  I also went right around 1 o'clock, so I pretty much had the theater to myself.)

My first impression?  It's "Independence Day" without Will Smith.  Really.  There's so many similarities, I stopped counting, but I noticed them.  However, I did like being with the military unit the whole time, and seeing the battle from their perspective.  I also like the Mike Rowe ("Dirty Jobs") lookalike Aaron Eckhart in the lead.  Unfortunately Michelle Rodriguez plays the same part as she did in "Avatar" and "Resident Evil".

In case you're not familiar with the story line, the coastlines of all the major continents are invaded by aliens seeking our water.  No using us for a food source like they did in other movies.  It takes a band of Marines (HOO-YAW!) to find a way to bring these mechanical-looking creatures down.

There are a lot of explosions and some gore.  The aliens are not that impressive, I'm afraid.  But the destruction they wreak is awesome.  This was definitely a film to see on the silver screen.  And despite its faults, I am advising that if you miss watching it in the theaters, then I hope you have a big screen TV at home when you:

No comments:

Post a Comment