Monday, March 1, 2010

Monday Movie Review - PONTYPOOL

Stephen MacHattie creates a memorable performance as a washed-out DJ who has lost every on-air job he's had because of his highly-opinionated monologues.  In fact, I had to go back and check this movie out again after I found out who played the character of the grizzled alcoholic, who was now regulated to providing school closures in some backwater town in Canada.

Yes, there are zombies in this movie, but the gut punch doesn't come from the bloodletting.  In fact, the gore value is pretty tame.  It's the psychological impact that'll stick with you long after.

One thing I'm always looking for is discovering how movemakers explain the cause of the zombie plague.  I have to give kudos for this one.  It's not only unique, it isn't given to you via a long scientific explanation.  It.  Just.  Is.

The movie's setting is kept within the confines of the little, out-of-the-way radio station.  It's told in Real Time, where we watch the action slowly advance from "out there" to where the survivors are located and waiting for the inevitable to reach them. 

This is a superb little film.  Well told, well acted, and well worth the wait I had to go through for it to finally show up for me to rent.  Oh, and when you do, look for the little "extra" after the credits.

My recommendation? 

No comments:

Post a Comment