Monday, March 25, 2019

Monday Movie Review - ANNA AND THE APOCALYPSE

Once upon a time, there was a TV show called Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. I was and still am a huge fan. In season 7, the show's creator, Joss Whedon, took a brave step in creating an hour-long musical entitled "Once More, With Feeling", in which the entire cast sang instead of spoke. The resulting "Buffy Musical" was a huge hit.

ANNA AND THE APOCALYPSE reminds me so much of that episode.

Anna is a typical teenager in her senior year, a loner of sorts, who is anxious to escape her small town after graduation. (Note: Although this takes place in Scotland, the teen angst and struggles are the same, no matter what country.)

What she and her small band of friends never see coming is the end of the world, aka zombies, and right before Christmas. 
Yes, this is a holiday musical zombiefest. The songs they sing as they battle the advancing hordes are spot-on, echoing their fears, their hopes, and the realization they may not make it out alive.

I fell instantly in love with the music and lyrics, and with the movie by the third song. I immediately bought the soundtrack. The movie itself is not yet available on disk, but as soon as it is, I'm going to get it. 

Which is why I wholeheartedly recommend (and you know I rarely do this!) that you



No comments:

Post a Comment