Monday, January 9, 2012

Monday Movie Review - SQUEAL

I found this at Netflix streaming. It's an independent feature (natch!) that has two major things going for it: it's not slick, and it has a few new ideas in it that kept me entertained.

SQUEAL is about a small band heading out of town for a gig, when they run their van off the road in the middle of nowhere. They find a nearby farm, and that's where the horror begins because we already know the "people" who reside there are really the living results of genetic experiments.

The non-glossy feel of this flick allowed me to become more engrossed. The kills aren't original, but they felt more realistic. (If CGI was used, I damn sure couldn't pinpoint it!) The blood looked genuine, and I would swear the actors did their own stunts. The movie takes place in the middle of winter, and I'll take bets the people were actually freezing their bums off.

As jaded as I am after watching countless horror films, I was delightfully surprised at some of the original concepts (midget pig person, anyone?) The ending is downbeat but satisfactory. And there's a neat little scene after the credits roll.

No wonder my recommendation is that you

No comments:

Post a Comment