Monday, May 2, 2011

Monday Movie Review - BLACK SWAN

I've read and been told repeatedly that this movie is a horror movie.  I can see why some reviewers would say so.  But to me the horror was so subtle, I dismissed it.  If anything, this movie is a psychological thriller.

Nina has given her life to dance the role of the Swan Queen in the ballet Swan Lake.  But  while her temperment fits the White Swan part, she's repeatedly told she doesn't have enough "nastiness" in her to make the Black Swan part credible.

Her director brings in Lily, who happens to be the complete opposite of Nina, and it looks as though Lily will take the part of the Black Swan, if not the entire role.  This threat is enough to force Nina to reach inside herself and pull out a performance that surprises everyone.  However, the consequence of her action is both shocking and surprising.

This role won Portman an Oscar (among many other kudos) for her portrayal of Nina.  But I had a difficult time following the story line.  There are many times when you wonder whether or not Nina is going mad.  How much of what she sees is real, and how much is her imagination?

All in all, this movie is not one I would watch again.  I viewed it the first time to see what horror elements it contained, but for the most part I was disappointed.  Which is why my recommendation is that you 

No comments:

Post a Comment