Monday, January 3, 2011

Monday Movie Review - WITCHFINDER GENERAL

I was in the mood for a Vincent Price film and found this one on Netflix.  Because I hadn't seen it before, and because Price himself once said he believed this was one of his best performances, I watched it.

For a movie made in the '70s, it holds up extremely well.  Of course, the blood is a tad too red to look real, but the acting is top-notch, and the torture scenes still can wring a gasp out of you. 

Price plays a Witchfinder in the 1600s who goes from village to village, promising the townspeople he can rid them of famine and whatnot by removing the witches who caused it...for a price, of course.  It's when he sets his sights on a priest's daughter, and she refuses him, that he punishes both the father and daughter by accusing them of being witches.  Yes, Price is the bad guy in this film, but isn't that what he does best?

I love Price's films, my favorite being THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES.  Like many of his movies, this is a period piece.  And although I'm not real big on "historical horror", I had a good time with this one.  Which is why my recommendation is that you:

No comments:

Post a Comment