Saturday, August 7, 2010

CODE 30 Has Been Reviewed by Manic Readers!

Alexis Hembree is a cop. She and her partner may beat the bad guys, but they are also fighting against something far more dangerous. Evil is attracted to them, and no matter where they seem to go, it follows close on their heels.


303 Lexington St. isn’t your average house, no; it is something much, much more. Used as a crack house, criminals come and go, but more times than not, who enters 303 Lexington St. typically doesn’t leave.

There are things in the world that just can’t be explained. But when those supernatural creatures present themselves to Alexis, she must fight them with everything she has. Although some cops may fight your average run of the mill criminals, Lexie fights something much more deadly, and a whole lot scarier.

What can I say about Code 30? The better question is what can’t I say?! This story is set in first person, Alexis (Lexi) Hembree being our narrator. The story was well over a hundred pages, and so worth the read. Lexi is a tough cop that doesn’t take crap from anyone. The house on Lexington St. isn’t your average house. Couple a frightening building, with a woman who has strength and courage, and you have yourself a scene that will knock your socks off…literally.

This is definitely a horror story, for sure, and if you are squeamish I would suggest not reading this. But if you want a story that is frighteningly authentic and will make you remember the details long after the light has been turned off, then I would suggest this story. Below are a few quotes from Code 30 that I found particularly horrifying and descriptive.

“Two bodies completely dismantled, yet their hands were as clean and pristine as if they’d just washed them. Their bodies hacked almost in half, yet there was no evidence of who had done in whom.”

“She was there as I had known she would be. The ice picks glittered in the light. Blood dripped off the tips of her toes, forming a puddle of reddish-brown gore on the dirt-packed floor.”

There were twists and turns, and situations I didn’t see coming. The horror in this story was spine tingling. I can’t even begin to explain how Ms. Mooney described so well and so fluidly the acts and deprivations that occurred. There was sadness in this story, but don’t get me wrong, this was 100% horror city.

Well done Ms. Mooney, I hope every horror fans takes a look at Code 30 because it is so worth it!

~ Reviewed by Claudia, Manic Readers

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! This is Matt. I met you at the writer's group at Hastings a couple months ago. I'm almost done with my current book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, congrats! I'm looking forward to hearing about it at our next meeting! :D

    ReplyDelete