Monday, July 12, 2010

Monday Movie Review - REC 2

Thanks to a friend's notification, I was able to catch this on HD cable for its one-night-only showing.  Unlike the original REC, which I watched dubbed, this one was in Spanish with subtitles.  I didn't mind, though. It got to the point where I was too busy watching the screen to pay any attention to what they were saying anyway.  After all, it was pretty much the same thing:  Hurry!  Run!  We've got to get out of here!  Ahhh!  (And, of course, the frequent f-bomb.)

This story could legitimately be called REC, Part 2, since it takes place 15 minutes after the first film ends.  The horror and gore have been cranked up, but the story heads down a path I really wished it hadn't.  (Not a real spoiler here, folks:)  A priest is brought into the building, and he convinces everyone that the "infected" aren't really infected with anything manmade.  They're possessed.  We even see a few tight scenes of attempted exorcism.

But other than that one minor quibble, this movie is unabashedly in your face frightening.  And the ending will leave you with a sick, vomitus feeling in your stomach - I promise!

My recommendation? 

In fact, get them both!
(Psst!  Side note, as of this blog, yes, there will be a QUARANTINE 2, the American version to follow this Spanish release!)

No comments:

Post a Comment