Saturday, September 5, 2009

Movie Review - DEAD WOOD

The moment this movie began to play, I quickly checked the label. Yep, it was filmed in 2007. You could have fooled me.

How shall I describe this film? Wes Craven does Evil Dead? With a little Blair Witch thrown in for good measure?

Taking place in the English countryside, two couples go camping one weekend. One morning they wake up to find a strange woman cooking over their campfire. She tells them she's lost, that she's missing her boyfriend, and she's hungry. She also tells them she thinks the woods are haunted, and that may have had something to do with her boyfriend's disappearance.

The actors are virtual unknowns, but they do a decent job with the script. The bloodshed is minimal, if any, as the film relies heavily on the unexpected scares and psychological horror aspects (hence my Blair Witch reference.) I must say, though, that the few CGI effects are pretty cool.

Unfortunately, there's only so much run-through-the forest-screaming I could take before boredom set in. Plus the ending, in my opinion, was somewhat predictable.

My recommendation?

No comments:

Post a Comment