Saturday, June 6, 2009

My 2 Cents... Based on a True Story

I automatically have a reaction whenever I see these 5 words fade onto the screen.

Based on a true story? What part? Better yet, what story?

Consider the actual story of Ed Gein. Kinda hard to believe that Hitchcock's Psycho and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre were both based on this same true story!

In too many cases, BOATS movies usually take a tee-niney portion of the actual incident, and manage to blow it up into a rendition that in no shape or form represents its origin.

Still, whenever this phrase comes onscreen, whether at the beginning of the movie, at the end of the movie, or somewhere in an article featuring the writer/director/actor, I have to use a very large five-pound bag of salt in order to believe them, much less swallow their claim.

I've found it's a lot easier to think the story was plucked from thin air and elaborated on. Otherwise I lose a great opportunity to enjoy the movie because I'm wracking my feeble brain trying to figure out where the idea for it came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment